City Deal approval to benefit Bradford - 21/09/2012
Bradford is set to benefit from more local decision-making and additional responsibilities following an agreement with central government.
The so-called 'City Deal' previously announced was signed off this week for Leeds City Region (LCR), giving Bradford and the 10 other local authority areas in the region chance to boost economic growth and competitiveness at a greater rate.
Six key areas will be focused on:
1. Skills and worklessness
4. Trade & Inward Investment
5. Business-friendly planning
6. Low carbon
It is hoped that up to 25,000 jobs could be created medium-term, plus 15,000 apprenticeships over four years.
Details of the six activity areas includes:
1. LCR aim to be 'NEET-free' (*); create apprenticeship academy supported by a hub (*NEET = young not in education, employment or training)
2. £1bn fund for public transport and highways network; possible taking over of Northern Rail franchise;
3. £400m investment fund of local and government resources
4. Work with UKTI to increase local exports and attract more inward investment
5. Encourage councils to develop planning charter to speed up major project processes
6. Reduce carbon emissions and grow green economy; develop City Region Green Deal
View more News